Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Horsetail


This is a weed I really love. It has been described as some kind of Jurassic park plant. It starts its year as a spire shooting up -- sort of asparagus, but will bamboo type rings. It soon blossoms with fringe which gives it the horsetail name. I've always been intrigued with this plant, even trying to get it's rhizomes to grow in containers. The plant is very invasive; if it is growing in your yard, you hate it and can't get rid of it, but if you're like me, you try to grow it in pots, enjoying it's positives, with out the negatives.

The dye from this plant was little disappointing at the beginning of the dye protocol, but when adding the copper and iron mordants, the yarn turned into this beautiful soft gray greens and warm grays. The photos do not do this or many of the other photos justice. Most of these colors are just to subtle and close in value to come across on the computer.

I have color corrected the best I can in Photoshop, but I found when I corrected for the blue in every photo, trying to keep the yellow/green I got most of the time, the lovely gray and neutral colors were lost to some extent.

No comments: