Thursday, October 16, 2008

My classmates projects

I thought some of my classmates projects were really clever, the photos shown here are not necessarily the "best," they just spoke to me in some way. I'm sorry I don't have names to go with the work.

The top photo is made of wire and beads, my first reaction was that it wasn't "fabric," and then immediately said "yes it is." I guess maybe my first idea of fabric is that it had to be more "solid" or something, I ended up really liking the lightness of it, the little bits of color - what a "world" this could be if it was made on a larger scale.

The next photo was an interesting 3-d landscape with little spiral shapes popping up all over, made me think of some kind of a little village with pointy houses. It was made with masking tape, I guess she just spent hours unrolling a spool of it, letting the tape spiral out of control a times. This could be a really cool project done on a larger scale.

Of course I was drawn to the bright color of the next piece. Bold splashes, putting it all out there in a big statement. I picked it up, very pliable, kind of plastic, smooth. I was happily surprised when I found out it was dried paint.

I think the bottom one was done by the same person with the paint, this time she used glue and photos. It had an interesting look to it, reminding me of when years ago I used a liquid plastic that I poured out onto glass or waxed paper depending on if I wanted it to be cloudy or clear, which I used in layering for a sculpture. I thought this had many opportunities to build on, especially using photos for a very personal statement.

The evening's slide show presented a few artists who used common objects in making over sized art with amazing mood and feeling, only when you looked closely, did you see it was Styrofoam cups, cellophane tape, drinking straws, spools of thread, bugs or shoes.




Artists pictured above; Tara Donovan, Devorah Sperber, and Willie Cole.

Our next assignment is to take one of our projects and "super-size" it, make something "human scale." We are to use what we have learned and observed in others work; it needs to be flexible in one direction; needs to have an "attitude", convey a mood and a point of view; include a brief description on what it is and how you achieved it; made from stuff you have or reused from somewhere else; use one type of fastening device; and document the process in our studio notebook.

No comments: