Monday, October 27, 2008

The inner tube project - Take 3

Creating something large with the pieces I have chosen to work with has some limitations. Rubber bands are fairly small and to create a lively pattern - even if I have a bunch of the wide rubber bands - it will still take a lot of rubber bands. But I think the biggest limitation will be the stapler, which can only staple about 4" deep. That's why I was going to do the block design before and figure out another way to join them together. Now I think I'm going to have to build my "cloth" in rows which kind of bugs me a little because it seems more like weaving and I wanted to get away from that for this project.

I've stapled together small square chunks of bike tube to create rows, now I will start to apply the rubber bands to the rows as I join the rows together. I want to create a "forward" motion from bottom to top with a design element going upward making five "columns". My rubber bands will be creating different patterns flowing upward at different rates, but I also want the patterns to flow across the columns blurring the edges.

I'm not sure it makes sense in the description, but I can see it in my mind and I hope it will convey the moods and feelings I have when riding my bike.

No comments: