Monday, February 2, 2009

2 week weaving continued


I guess I need to go back to the beginning of the assignment...

The project that I'm using for my "past" example is the one featured in this blog on Sunday, December 28, 2009 and Thursday, January 1, 2009. (It's still not really finished, ends tied and ready for hanging.) Upon "Reflection" (using the four aspects of the Creative Process) I'm thinking over how I came about to do this project. I think I just put the idea into my book, not even putting in the time to finish the sketch. I was getting back into weaving and just wanted to get going on something. There wasn't really a concept, certainly not any incubation time where I really thought about it. I was also in a hurry to try these acid dyes that I had bought, seeing what I would get for colors. I got the yarn dyed and had it on the loom by the time the Fall fibers class started and there it sat until we had a break at Christmas when I finished weaving it. I guess I thought the colors were nice and intense, but now after going to class I wasn't really satisfied with it, because it didn't really say anything. After awhile I gave it a name "Breaking Through," I thought it was fitting with what I had been learning. So I guess I gave it a concept after I was finished with it, not exactly the best plan.


The new project I'm working on for the assignment...

During the fall I was mulling over what I was hearing in class, trying to break free from the geometrical, balanced gradations that I had been doing. Musing in my head about how much information there was about us out there for anyone to find out. And how much we are even inviting strangers into our lives through blogs, Facebook, etc. We don't really know who's reading about us, watching us, listening...

I was also looking at the blinds in our house liking the repeating horizontal lines, the gradation within each slat. Thinking if someone pulled the blinds apart to spy or peak out, this light would also be released. I thought about it for awhile and finally made this sketch a few days later. I continued to think about it, how I would dye the yarns to achive it, could I really dye the yarns with enough accuracy to make it work?

I kept going back to the sketch in my book, revisiting the idea, thinking about how I could make it happen. So when the possibility of doing a weaving came up, this project was just waiting to happen.

No comments: