Sunday, November 30, 2008

Less is more

Another class, we talk about the project, some are having trouble with this. I don't think many of them have started, I'm thinking I probably have 15 to 20 hours in mine already and don't think I'm going to get done.

We again had slides to look at. These were all self portrait collages done in the past by students. Some were really amazing, stunning, graphic, and personal. For the technique, I would describe it as painting with printed magazine color. In a way they had a look of a "paint by number," but with interesting and intriguing twists. They were really cool. My first thought was that I was doing the project wrong and mine was too abstract, but then I thought, it's "my project" and I think it fits the assignment so I'm going to continue. But the "paint by number" did look like fun, so maybe I can squeeze in a small second project.

I'm driving home thinking about my project, it dawns on me that the size is too large, the past 2/3 side is taking too much away from what I'm saying about "turning the corner". I was being mathematical (is that possible???) before in my planning, since maybe 2/3rds of my life is over, that should be 2/3rds of the art, but now I think that is really wrong, it will have to be cut down. I was going to let the selvages be the finished side edges, now I'll have to hem 2 more sides! - more work!

No comments: